Helping Philanthropy and Nonprofits Achieve Their Missions with Maximum Impact
I work as an independent consultant to philanthropy, non-profits and media, helping mission-driven organizations develop, execute and communicate program strategies to achieve their goals.
My approach combines programmatic and communications strategies to act as a force multiplier for your work. It is designed to demonstrate impact, reach diverse audiences and build trust for your sector.
With a track record of creative approaches, outstanding program development and execution, management experience, multilingual skills, and award-winning storytelling for top news organizations like the New York Times, CBS News ’60 Minutes’ and U.S. News and World Report, I help mission-driven organizations move the needle on their issues in today’s complex digital landscape.
- Science and the Media Project: Worked with scientists and communications teams at American Museum of Natural History in New York and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C., two of the nation’s leading scientific institutions, to design, execute, and evaluate pilot programs that enabled scientists to engage with dozens of non-science journalists who previously had little or no contact with their institutions.
- International Reporting Project media leaders fact-finding trips: Designed and led in-depth fact finding trips for over 200 senior US media leaders to over a dozen challenging international destinations, including China, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Liberia. Many visits included head-of-state and cabinet-level meetings.
- Pioneering conferences: Designed and executed groundbreaking conferences that explored emerging digital technologies and new models for international newsgathering, including a national conference with Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and a gathering at the Rockefeller Brothers Fund Pocantico Center.
- Project design and management
- Research and evaluation
- Participatory research
- Media and communications
- Strategic planning and capacity building
- Collaborations and strategic partnerships
- Fact-finding missions, conferences and workshops
- Reports, white papers, articles, presentations, speeches
- Grantmaking and grantee relations
My focus areas include democracy and civil society, civic engagement, philanthropy, media, science, environment, global health, poverty alleviation, international development, culture, religion, and conflict resolution.
Many foundations don’t accept unsolicited proposals, locking out smaller and new nonprofits and historically marginalized groups. This article for Inside Philanthropy looks at several foundation initiatives that seek to increase access. From “Keep Out” to “Please Come In.” Opening Up Grants Processes Leads to More Equity
How can philanthropy work more productively with communities and nonprofits? My opinion piece for The Chronicle of Philanthropy looks at multidisciplinary, collaborative, and versatile approaches for the 21st century. Philanthropy Can’t Solve the Toughest Problems Unless It Breaks Out of Silos.
Philanthropy for Active Civic Engagement and Public Agenda continue to explore the connections between technology, civic engagement, citizenship and democracy on their Infogagement platform with my essay The Scientist as Civic Partner.